Water Safety Tips
- Never leave a child unattended near water in a pool, tub, bucket or ocean. There is no substitute for adult supervision.
- Designate a “Water Watcher” to maintain constant watch over children in the pool during gatherings.
- The home should be isolated from the pool with a fence at least 60” tall, with a self-closing, self-latching gate. The gate should open away from the pool, and should never be propped open.
- Doors and windows should be alarmed to alert adults when opened. Doors should be self-closing and self-latching.
- Power-operated pool safety covers are the most convenient and efficient. Solar/floating pool covers are not safety devices.
- Keep a phone at poolside so that you never have to leave the pool to answer the phone, and can call for help if needed.
- Learn CPR and rescue breathing.
- Keep a life-saving ring, shepherd’s hook and CPR instructions mounted at poolside.
- Do not use flotation devices as a substitute for supervision.
- Never leave water in buckets or wading pools.
- If a child is missing, always check the pool first. Seconds count.
- Remove toys from in and around the pool when not in use.
- Don’t use floating chlorine dispensers that look like toys.
- Instruct babysitters about potential pool hazards, and emphasize the need for constant supervision.
- Responsibilities of pool ownership include ensuring children in the home learn to swim, and that adults know CPR.
- Do not consider children “drownproof” because they’ve had swimming lessons.
Drowning Prevention Links & Videos
- Layers of Protection Around Aquatic Environments to Prevent Child Drowning
- The Safer 3
- Child & Baby Drowning Prevention
- Pool Safety
- It Only Takes “This Much” Water to Drown
- Simple Steps For Safer Pools
- Mission Impossible PSA
- Competing Dads PSA
CPR & First Aid
We cannot stress the importance of having a basic knowledge of First Aid and CPR and we encourage all the parents of Deep Blue Swim School to get this training. To make this available to you we teach an Emergency First Response course right here at our facility. We schedule one EFR course every month and can schedule a private course for you and your friends and/or family. You can save a life with this training.